Monday, February 28, 2011

So-Easy Comfort Food Dinner

Today with gusty winds and rain drizzling down, it wad a comfort food kind if day. What says warm and cozy better than a vat of chili and some cornbread?!

If you're opposed to canned goods, feel free to sub in beans that you've soaked overnight. Today I used black and garbanzo beans; two cans of garbanzo, four of black and two cabs of diced tomatoes. Dump 'em all in a slow cooker (I have a large oval), drinking the juices of the garbanzo beans.

As I layer in the beans, I add about a palmful of chili powder, a healthy sprinkling of cumin and about a teaspoon of salt. You could also use a pouch of chili seasoning. This is great on it's own, served with Greek yogurt and shredded cheese or whatever you like on chili. However, my carnivorous J has requested meat in his chili so I also browner a pound if lean ground turkey, seasoned with chili powder, cumin, salt pepper and about a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Stir it all together and let 'er rip in the crock pot all day.

About a half hour before serving I made Mark Bittman's skillet cornbread, using liquid egg whites and maple syrup in place of sugar.

No comments: