Sunday, April 18, 2010

Birthday Cake


For Jared's birthday, I got a bunch of his classmates and their spouses together at Deja Brew, which is a brew on premise facility where people who would like to home-brew, but don't have either the space or the time, or just want to try it out, can brew there and come back two weeks later to carbonate and bottle their yield. It was a great time, so I figured a chocolate stout cake would be a good companion for the night :) Of course, I forgot my camera, so all you'll see is the before and after of the cake, not the actual process of brewing, which was really cool. I'll have to make sure and take the camera when we go back to bottle it. This chocolate stout cake from Epicurious was SO good, and had over 300 reviews, so it was easy to see it was a winner. If I made it again, I'd halve the recipe because it made the two rounds for a layer cake plus TWO DOZEN cupcakes! It was even better the next day :)


The beer, butter and cocoa simmered and whisked together...


A great tip for cupcakes; put the batter in a ziplock bag and snip the corner to fill the cups without the mess!


The cake easily served all twelve guests with room to spare, and a good time was had by all!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: